Search This Blog

Sponsored Links

Saturday 11 April 2015

A Song to Say Goodbye...for Now - Going on Medical Leave.

04/09/15 - After rising at the crack of dawn for yet more tests, I finally made it into work to pick up a few things, drop stuff off, submit some unrelated  insurance forms, and say my bye-for-nows.
Items I picked up included  photos of my dogs which I plan to take to hospital with me, as well as some of the awards I have one over the years. While that might sound like I am giving up, far from it. But as a realist, I am a planner and so I have to prepare for the possibility that I may not be back  and wanted to ensure my family would have my awards if that is the case.  As I made the rounds to various colleagues, it really started to hit home that it could be a long time before I returned. Things were starting to get real and fast.  I'm not sure who was holding back tears more, them or me. It was a sad day.

As for the tests, this latest batch included a bone scan of my entire body and a CT-scan of my thighs & backside.  Both scans were done in an effort to determine whether or not the cancer has spread to my bones.  First, they injected me with radioactive dye, which needed nearly three hours to set into my system.  So back into the waiting room I went!  Once again, it was a good thing I came prepared with my own entertainment!  I can not stress this enough to anyone about to embark on the same journey!  You're going to be going through lots of tests & lots of waiting, waiting & more waiting.  Waiting in rooms, waiting for rides, waiting for result, waiting for dye, etc....  So, bring a book, bring a smart phone, bring a tablet, etc.  While waiting, the receptionist was also kind enough to fax my short-term income protection application forms through, so  at least that was one item crossed off the day's to-do list. :)

Once the dye had been absorbed by my system, I was brought into a room with a special nuclear camera rotating around me that was able to see the dye inside me while taking images of the bones throughout my body.  It was done in stages, including my head, chest, abdomen, legs, etc.  As they scanned my chest, I had to hold my breath NOT in the inhale but on the exhale, which sounds worse than it actually was. :)  The machine actually talks to you, telling you when to breathe, when to hold, when to exhale & so on.  Other than that, the test was totally painless - apart fro the injection needle.  In fact, I even dozed off a few times despite having both my feet & arms bound, so that I could fit in the machine without limbs getting in the way! Who would've thought a bone scan would involve bondage, LOL!!! ;)  Kidding aside, it took longer for the dye to set in than it did for the tests themselves, which only took an hour as opposed to the three hours for the dye!  Afterwards, they did a quick CT-scan of my leg & backside, which involved me sitting on a special bench that was a camera.  Again, no pain whatsoever.  These were probably the two easiest tests of all the tests I've been through, and as always, the staff were excellent in describing what to expect.

And finally, the call I'd been waiting for came through with news they were able to schedule my last batch of tests for the next day.. As for getting the results, this may have to wait as the clinic is very full. Still crossing my fingers that I might get lucky and be able to get in this coming Monday.  If not, then it'll be the following week, as they only hold this particular cancer clinic on Mondays.   Ahh, the never-ending waiting!  Good thing I'm a patient person most of the time!

*[NOTE: The title of this post was inspired by the Placebo song "Song to Say Goodbye" off their 2006 album, "Meds".]

No comments:

Post a Comment